Wednesday 15 August 2007

Happy 60th Independence Day

It’s the 60th anniversary to our independence and here we are busy voting for “Whether the Independence day holds any importance to the youths as it held for our forefathers?”

And then when I get over my initial agitation to the question, I sit back and think: “DO I?”

Till a week back, all I thought to do on this 15 August is to take the Pearson Language Assessment English Field test 2007, to report to the centre on time and to carry all the required documents. Yes, I now know the importance of the poll question … so what will be my answer to it …… Yes, No, Can’t Say ……

I remember when we were kids; it was one of my favourite days … dressed up in that crisp white uniform, standing infront of the proud fluttering Indian Flag, hoisted by our principal, and singing our national anthem in one voice, trying to grasp each and every word of it!

I remember when I saw the movie on Gandhi and the struggle for Independence I had wept; I remember my father humming a few of those patriotic songs for us and we trying to copy him

I remember the proud glint in my eyes when I used to see dad hoisting the National flag in his unit in his wonderful OG uniform (Olive Green).

I have grown up now and my work has taken me away from my parents and away from my country many a times. But yes I still do remember … remember that 15th August was more than a holiday for me.

The Independence Day held its importance when I was young and now when I am not a young girl, my priorities have changed and so has my enthusiasm for the day ….

But does that really mean than the day holds no importance for me and the youth of the country in general?

No comments: