Monday 13 August 2007

Perseid Meteor Shower - 13 Aug 2007 0300hrs

10:30 on a Sunday night when you are all set to jump into your bed because it’s Monday morning the next day, suddenly you remember – hey! When is that meteor shower supposed to happen? … after numerous futile attempts on the internet you assume you missed it the last night .. How does it feel if you get to know you can actually see the meteor shower!

It goes Balle Balle ...
Oye Hoye Shava Shava
Oye Hoye Balle Balle

(I am staying with a Sikh family these days )

My dear flatmate Harpreet (aka Harry) and I switched on the tele in the last hope of catching some glimpse of the shower in the news telecast and Ho Ho Ho there it says … “The meteor shower will be at its peak at 3:00 am and visible to the naked eye. One does not need a telescope to view the wonderfully clear night sky, showering us with its own crackers”

All decided we both set our alarms to 2:30 am and promise to make sure we wake each other ….. an EXTREMELY difficult task !

Zzzzzzzzz …. Zzzzzzzzzzzz …. Trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ….. Trrrrrrrrrrrrr and the alarm goes off …

Beat this, both of us have never jumped out of our beds without snoozing the alarm for atleast 4-5 times and here all armed with r jumpers and shawls we made r way quietly to our little garden to view the shooting stars at the first sound of the alarm … enthusiasm makes u do wonderfully strange things!

Quietly because our landlady is a very light sleeper and we never wanted her to get up for all obvious reasons!

Hell! Did u check the direction … NO and you .. ;-(
Hmmm … now … you look this side and I will check the other side … 2:35 … 2:40 … 2:45 … hey hey Harry I saw one there … where which direction ….. Pause … 2:50 … 2:55
Sorry, may be it was my imagination or was it a plane (we stay very close to Heathrow)

Hey there see one more and another and yet another … and then suddenly a beautiful big spark goes across the sky and we both were mesmerized …. The frequency was like 1-2 per minute but the moonless clear sky made sure we didn’t miss even a single one of those beautiful shooting stars which could fulfil all r wishes. I actually didn’t miss any opportunity and made a different wish on every shooting star I saw … If I believe the myth then, I should be a happy content girl this whole year even if half of them come true ;-)

Well after straining r necks for what seemed like a decade we decided to retire in r respective rooms … it was 3:25 already and I was supposed to get up at 5:30 to make it to the office in time .. PHEW !

I enter my room and there out of my window I see another of those bright streaks across the sky and then what … both of us were at the window once again straining r necks to get few remaining wishes fulfilled as well !!

Ladies … can they be ever satisfied … huh!

Anyways, after numerous tries to convince each other to sleep both of us fell on the bed there itself and dozed off to sleep, with a smile on r face, as quickly as we got up .. not to forget the pillow and duvet fights because Harry was feeling too lazy to leave my room and climb into her bed … so both of us slept on my queen size bed !
Oh! She is a sweetheart … just a bit LAZY like me ;-)

2 comments:

Nikita Prashar said...

Awesome , it was a refreshing experience!! While reading I felt as if it was me who saw the meteor show.....Keep Going

Nikita Prashar said...

hi,there read ur blog............really missedthat starry night...we too were awake .but sme only shd feel lucky to have ths previlage!!
great so believe...me u wud really have a splendor year ahead,cheers

love,
Neha