Friday 21 November 2008

Cake, H & Me

These days I have been too worked up trying to balance my personal goals with the work pressure. I feel like a zombie and my reaction time is reduced as if under the influence of alcohol!
My managers have to give in to my extreme dedication of working and providing accurate results ……. No off and working on weekends for straight 2 weeks with only 5 hrs of sleep everyday.

Kitchen is the only place where I get to relax myself with extreme pleasure!

So I decided to bake this new 5 minute instant microwave cake …. Checked the ingredients and realised the only thing I required was baking powder, which I bought on my way home.

To surprise H with my baking skills I decided to bake the cake while she was still upstairs busy with her laptop. She gets hooked to that wretched thing the moments she gets into the house till I give her a peace of my mind for ignoring me! (These days by the time I get home its way past 10 and she is almost wrapping up for the day)

Anyways, back to the cake making business of de-stressing myself.

While getting the ingredients together I realised that I would have to use Coffee instead of Cocoa and will have to do without vanilla essence.
So I decided I will make ginger cake with Nescafe!
Once the mix got ready I realised there wasn’t enough sugar in the house (remember I haven’t got more than 5hrs of sleep in 2 weeks now)

Anyways, the final outcome was a diet ginger cake with less sugar and oil!
H decided to do the honours to take the first bite and she liked it so I insisted her to take another piece which she gladly did. I felt good about it!
After a long tired day at work atleast I was still good in the kitchen!

While talking to her about the cake I took a bite and arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
I ran to the bin and spit out the ‘shit’ in the bin. It was the most horrible thing I had ever put in my mouth!

H said she didn’t want to make me feel bad esp with my current schedule and so she had 2 pieces of that ‘Cake’. The sweetness she is … I decided to bake another cake.
I am always this excited and enthusiastic about everything in life irrespective of my schedule!
And this time it was another special reason – to impress H with my baking skills!

The second cake didn’t had ginger but Coffee instead of Cocoa and brown sugar in place of white sugar and no vanilla essence. H said “Trust me it tastes better than the first one but still the diet cake feeling”.
I didn’t taste it.
Next morning while I was still in bed, H came back munching on the cake and said “Babe, let me be honest. The cake is crap and there is something seriously missing”

I got out of my bed, went to the kitchen, threw the cake into the bin, dressed up for work and left home a bit ashamed at my deteriorating skills in the kitchen!

I have decided to bake the cake when I am in full senses to ‘impress H’.

2 comments:

Dreamer said...

I must salute you for your energy...after such a hectic schdule u dared to bake a cake and that too twice...hats off yaar :)
and u knw what i was in splits after reading ur line..."It was the most horrible thing...."hehehe
and m glad u r back to writing ur blog...i really enjoy ur writings..:)

Vinita Apte said...

heheheh...thats a good one...I hope I dont get to eat diet cake whenever I am in london...